Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Salaries of Professors in SG
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Been-there-done-that, PhD

An asst. professor job is not that glamorous as you make it out to be. When you are in Uni, take up a few research programme (UROP or whatever they are called these days). Gain an appreciation of what it entails to be a researcher.

One of the KPI of an asst prof is to publish journal papers. Teaching takes up about 20 to 30 percent of your time (excluding exam periods). I don't know what's the in-thing these days, but contribution to the industries, be it through R&D or collaborative work, is expected as well. Starting a few years back (or maybe even longer - it was like that during my time, I was told it was better in the past), research institutes no longer do research without an industry application in mind.

If your aim is to contribute to science (which was one of the more common reason to do PhD), then I urge you to consider becoming an academic is the best approach. The way I see it, there are better ways to contribute.

Having being in both academic and commercial, I did say that if you manage to join an appropriate RI, the challenges and rewards are more than what the Unis can give.

Pay-wise, it is decent. As stated, an Asst Prof should get about $100K annually.

National University of Singapore | Kay L. O'Halloran
HR: Terms & Conditions of Service: Faculty Positions

The above two links should give you a gauge of your questions.