Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Salaries of Professors in SG
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Verified Member

ravonboy is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the cogent reply. My main priority to pursue a PhD is to become a tenured professor, I'm not too keen on working in the industry or else Master's would be my terminal degree.

As a professor, hopefully a tenured one, I can work on exciting problems in Computer Science with the bonus of having life-long job security and above average pay. I also have the passion for teaching, and would like to make use of computing technology to revolutionize our current pedagogy, be it in primary, secondary, and tertiary level. Above all, professors are one of those few that are best positioned to change the world. I know I'm only talking the talk, not walking it; I'm not even an undergrad.

There are a lot of adjuncts who teach solely for the pay, perhaps, it would be good to know that professors too, are not the equivalent of knowledgeable monks with scant regards to worldly desires. Money would not be the end and be all, like you said, it is just a necessity.

My thread here is started with the purpose for knowing the range of salaries a starting assistant professor can earn. Because, as a PhD student, you are slaving the years when you are at your strongest, in terms of physical and mental attributes. Those years will present a lot of windows of opportunity to find a spouse, gain promotion and craft a niche in your chosen industry. As a PhD student, you are cooped up in the academia, knee-deep in literature and research at the final lap of your youth. When you graduate, in all of your 30 odd years, this is the first time you will earn a respectable wage. I'm just curious about how much it entails.

If it's high enough, then good for me, I wouldn't worry about my finance. If it's too low, I would still choose the academe, with some moonlighting in consulting (like what someone advised) to pay off the housing loans, daily expenses etc.