Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Interview Request for Current Payslip - should give?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Verified Member

Ecce is on a distinguished road
Default Interview Request for Current Payslip - should give?

Hi all,

I am going to attend an interview tomorrow and one of the items I was asked to bring is my current pay slip. This is the first time I have heard such a request. I am uncomfortable to give them my current payslip, as I am aiming to ask for a much higher salary if I were to get the job. My salary is currently on the low side, and my concern is they will base their offer on my current salary.

Is this request considered unusual and is it something I have the right not to entertain? If so, is there a diplomatic way to reject this request?

Another issue is that I have only started my current job a couple of months ago. It is a small company. This company that I am going to attend the interview for is a more established one, and it is one of the companies that I have applied for before I got my current job. They only recently called me to arrange for an interview. I am quite sure they will ask me why I want to leave my current job. The fact is the salary and benefits I get at the current company is not that good and it is also a new company which may not be so stable. Do you think I should be frank during the interview and mention these push factors? Or perhaps I should just tell them I would like to have a change in environment or something vague, so that I don't appear like a "mercenary"?

Thanks everyone, I'd greatly appreciate your views.

Cheers!