Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2023, 11:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Serious poster here, not troll.

53 year old OCBC senior branch manager here. Should I sell my HDB to finance my son’s law degree. He got rejected from NUS/SMU law. Only accepted to Durham and Warwick in the UK.
Uncle no offense but your thinking is 25 years outdated liao. maybe in your time you saw all those conveyancing lawyers raking in easy money, Shanmugam and Davinder and other big names rising and earning big bucks in big cases. The industry has changed. In the present day, law is not a golden ticket, more like a hard slog with no guarantee of financial success. Perhaps only slightly better than being an auditor or civil engineer.

It is very unwise to jeopardize your hard-earned nest egg to fund your child for an expensive lower tier UK law school with no guarantee of making it to the top firms where the pay is worth it.

Anyway nowadays there are so many viable and decent paying career paths for young people that are not law. Even studying business in a local uni is a good outcome. You should encourage him to explore other interests.