Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2023, 07:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have seen good and bad examples. These centers are results-driven. In fact, they are more ruthless than SLs. If you are confident that you can produce results, please go ahead because centers can really pay more. If you are not a star tutor, you might be fired after a year. My friend is a star tutor who raked in 300k a year. But I also have colleagues who returned to teaching after a failed stint in the tuition industry (and he is a decent teacher).
Yup, the expectations of teachers are first and foremost to teach in a way that drives exam results progression, because that is what parents first and foremost are paying for (and care about). The parents couldn't care less about what tech tools you use in class, holistic development, joy of learning, etc. You will probably use little of what drives/motivates you in the school classroom, unless it makes huge impact on exam results.

If your students don't jump grades, you're not a star tutor, no matter how enjoyable your lessons used to be in MOE classrooms.