Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2023, 06:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Networking is super important. When a school is looking for someone to fill a role, of course they advertise on enhanced posting, open posting, etc. but there will always be some form of searching within networks. It's human nature - the SLs are more likely to favour a candidate whom they've crossed paths with (in a positive way) before, or a candidate that their KPs and teachers can vouch for.

If you're always going in 'cold', you always have a tougher time proving yourself. This applies everywhere, even outside in the corporate world.
I concur with this! Networking is super important in teaching as it is for other industries. Officers should always do their best to attend, or better yet, present at a cluster or national level. It may not have an impact on your CURRENT school but you will get noticed by other people. Trust me, there are some schools who actively approach people whom they are deemed good. Even if you want to transfer out of your current school, you will get better chances to transfer to a school where the working environment is better (such schools have very few openings because teachers don’t want to leave).

When it comes to promotion, bosses are very important. A colleague spent 7 years at GEO 3 in the previous school. He was quite active in presenting/participating in national conferences and events. Our school asked him to join, and offered him a KP position once there was an opening. He was promoted to GEO 4 in the year when he became acting and GEO 5 after another 2 years. We shared the same RO. I knew his CEP was raised significantly higher to expedite his promotion.