Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I graduated with an engineering degree from the states. Highly passionate about it. But decided not to practise engineering when i returned to sgp after graduating. Realised Pay is crap, work is dull, career prospects non existent

Engineers in the silicon valley work on developing core products. You can be sure that engineers at places like google apple etc are very well paid. Im guessing richard the german automobile engineer probably worked on core product engineering for a bmw or daimler chrysler.

What do engineers in sgp do? For most part, they keep the mfg lines running, or maybe do system integration and deployment of products developed elsewhere. How much can someone expect to make doing somethig like this?

Was it the right decision for me not to practice engineering in sgp? Absolutely. I wld probably be making a third of what i make now if i had gone into engneerng here
Hello,

Yes that's what many people says about Singapore too. But for you to earn the ticket to go to other countries to do engineering, you have to excel in your field. I have a friend who worked in oil industry in jurong island in the 80s, and we were from the same course. I kept forcing him to go beyond his comfort level and go the extra mile to do great work. He is now in dubai with his family, really good life. Perhaps even better than me. Point being at the end of day, it's not totally hopeless in sgp. I believe if you perform well, the whole world will be your playground!

Unfortunately about the pay wise, yes you will make a third of what you are earning. And for you to earn more, you have to head overseas. Fight for the opportunities.

Yes you are right. I was from BMW. I work in product development, but also overseeing sales for the global market. It was sort of the best of both worlds, engineering and business.