Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, I must really count my blessings to be born in that era. But again, you have to know how tough it is to get a degree in the 80s. Now degrees are much easier with the improvement in education and technology, so this generation will definitely suffer quite a bit. Yes, I took up German in my 20s out of interest when i was still an undergraduate. Little did i know what I learnt out of curiosity makes a big difference to my future. I was very, very lucky. Very lucky.

It's hard to go overseas, but it's not impossible. There are still opportunities, so you have to pull the ropes and make it easier for you to be hit by luck. Networking, is seriously important.

My son will not work in Singapore. He is an engineer-passionate boy just like I was. The west has definitely more opportunities, even today when Europe is facing crisis, it is still more optimistic than Singapore.

I hope my experience in the last few decades definitely paints a better picture for all engineers.

Richard/
I agree.The west holds better opportunities for engineers. In Singapore, engineers are very limited by the technologies. Ask yourself, say for HP, where will you develop and research your future advanced products? Singapore? Maybe... But the west is the more probable. If the cutting edge technologies are mostly found there, then thats where engineers will have their chances. I am speaking from my experiences.