Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 14-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To the gentleman who earns 300K Euros/year

What you say is indeed very true. Being passionate about what you do will lead to sucess.
Education is only the starting point - the rest is up to you.
However, the context which you tried to put your point across comes across as high handed and arrogant. If you did not have that chance after 5 years to be posted to Germany, I am unsure if you will be sharing such successes with us here.
But I appreciate your message means well.

I am not as senior as yourself. You graduated in 1980; me in 2000. You are 20 years my senior. Back in 1980, a Uni degree is boom town charlie. Right now, degrees are very common. To suceed, one needs not only passion, but also oppurtunities + timing.

Spore is very small. Agree do not be blinkered into staying on to work here no matter what.
This open society welcomes anyone with talent (sometimes too welcoming, but thats subject of another discussion) hence, competition is very stiff for locals as well.
My view is this - no matter what you do, always give your 101% and be the best at the job. My analogy - to get a B+ grade, you put in 50hrs of preps, to get A, it may need double. Question is do you want to settle for a credit or distinction. As well, be proactive and always think out of the box; the job description in your role is important, but YOU make it out to be what it is; do above and beyond the JD. Lastly, treat everyone with respect they deserve, from the pantry boy all the way to the CEO. Certain people step on others to look good/move up - word gets around and the antics will not last long; you may move to the top, but lack the support from teams..."sometimes, **** floats to the top" but eventually sinks.

I am not a high flier. Non banking job...messing around with my career in the initial 3 years of my professional life, but then found a job I really love and feel passionate about. Never looked back.

Not an engineer, but I salute them. Its a tough course.
Young man, i am very happy for your optimistic thinking. It is important for you to have positive thinking to move you forward. I'm sure in the next ten years or so, you will fly above most of your peers. Keep it up!

And yes, engineers is a tough course. Why it's undervalued in Singapore is indeed still a super big political and economical flaw of Singapore.

But be assured, Engineers are very valued in the west.

Richard/