Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 14-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Unregistered

Default Not that bad for engineers

I'm sorry that I sounded arrogant in some ways. I don't think sweet talking will help in any way.

True that today's market is different from the 80s. But some things are still fundamentally the same. In the 80s, engineering economy in Singapore isn't any more optimistic than today's. Some things are still fundamentally the same. Singapore is small. We can never and have never been an engineering hub.

Yes, luck and opportunities plays a part. That comes to my second point - networking. You have to understand the importance of networking if you want to succeed. I did put in a lot of hard work, but if it's not for the Germans who favored me, I wouldn't be where I am today. You have to be good in what you do, and you need to have the charm for people to pull you to greater heights.

My purpose here is never to put down people. I can't help you if you are pessimistic about yourself. I say you suck. Are you going to accept it solemnly? No. If people say you suck, you have to know why. You have to rectify it on your own.

Instead of spending your free time on games in your 20s, if you are really unhappy about where you are now, do something about it. Venture out. Upgrade your skills. Accept that the world in whatever industry favors people who have a good aptitude but have great inter-human relationship, outspoken and great business thinking. In whatever industry that you do.

I've got my fair share of tough life in my 20s. I go the extra mile in work everyday. I make sure every work I did is perfect. There is no slacking off in effort on my part, even doing the most mundane thing like doing minutes. I took courses, learnt and experiment how to do great presentations, join clubs to know more people. All these in my 20s led me to where I am today.

I am not trying to comfort people by the word " be passionate in what you do", but i really mean it. You are in your 20s, you have the most energy of all. You have the thinking that "oh i'm going to do this job because it pays well. Passion is nothing." But ten years down the road, your family commitment and age is going to catch up on you, and the only way for you to keep performing in your work is to love what you do. You've got to find your love. That feeling that pumps you up every morning to work. There's no Monday blues. There's no TGIF. Every day of work is an enjoyment.

Richard/