Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 26-12-2022, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let's keep this thread medical guys.

Can I ask if it's true that work as a salaried gp (i.e employed by a group) are generally more mundane and as a result less stressful than staying in ops as a FP.

I am considering my career options post residency with/without mmed (depending on whether I pass next year). I do have a gdfm which I completed during residency.
Think enough has been said salary wise (from earlier posts), and I guess the difference between the 2 groups (if any) is not going to be life changing anyway.

I am more interested in the job scope, as from what I see and heard from my seniors, life as a mmeder in ops is not that easy. They have to do administrative stuff (be a teamlet lead, part of sag groups, arrowed to both do and supervise audits/qips) and teaching (supervise apn, organize the bridging programme and teaching clinicals for R3 like myself, supervise residents in rcc etc). Sounds like not "chill and simple life" which is what I am looking for, compared to outside gps, who essentially just do a service job. (I.e see pts, who also tend to have simpler acute issues and go home end of day)

I note that hours not as good for gps, but as long as it's 44hrs/week, I don't mind working few weekends or evening shift, as long as job is simple . In fact I won't even mind a slightly lower pay as long as I can achieve my goal of "chill and simple life"; which is also why I will never start my own clinic or take on appointment (like resident committee, chief resident etc) during residency years
Life in ops is complicated only if u want to rise.
U can tell Ur boss early on u want to see patient and go home at 430 , have no desire for admin, research or teaching and only want pure clinical.
Some admin stuff is unavoidable, eg write medical report.

But medicine in ops getting complicated . This initiative, that study and pple with weird problems also come to poly because they know the normal GP cannot help.
Gp life is more simple but package really no good. Eg in ops, I no mood, I just mc. No stress on me. Just boss have to close queue. Sometimes go bcls is on company time, cme during lunch on zoom and go sleep.
I had hunted a lot and talk to many private groups.
Market rate is slightly below 100 per hour with cpf with aws thrown in.
Suggest u try ops a while. Dun like them go out.