Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2022, 04:03 PM
Jamba Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But bro, the suss law degree not cheap. Nearly 160k. Passion is passion, but why should one slave away for "passion"??? How can one pay for this law degree on top of pursuing normal things like getting married z buying a house, and having children?

I do have some desire to do criminal law. But the cost of the degree turns me off. It is too expensive. I cannot afford it without metaphorically killing myself. I believe one must take care of themselves before they can take care of others.
Do not ever mention the words 'passion' or 'desire' during the SUSS interview. Ask SUSS what is the drop out rate for both JD and LLB since the school first started offering these courses. Go online and find people who are studying or have studied in SUSS and ask them if they're getting the right amount of support from the lecturers. Find out the composite of the collective exams. What is the allocated weightage for project work, presentation, essays and the exams?

and to the others it doesn't matter where u graduated from. it's what you do with the degree and the knowledge. i graduated from KCL in 2014. Worked in UK and only returned last year for a short sabbatical. Will be returning to UK in Jan 2023.

It's only in SG where we bicker and compete with each other without every devoting any time or energy into discussing about the substantive matters of the law practice. Look at Malaysia and the British law students. They are co-operative, have respect for each other and try to make each day more fulfilling than the day before. Malaysian law graduates earn RM2300 a month. They can graduate from a 3 + 0, 2 + 1 or 1 + 2 option. So either study 3 fulls years in a Malaysian centre for a British degree or 2 years in Malaysia and the final year in UK or 1 year in Malaysia and 2 years in UK. I have never seen or heard any Malaysian student or law graduate look down or talk down to fellow Malaysians from the lower ranked unis.

The same applies to British students. You have paralegals becoming solicitors and even barriester via the longer route by taking the Cilex and other newer targetted courses aimed for these mature students. I have never seen or heard any British person speak ill about another person due to them having graduated from a lower ranked uni based on the conventional wisdom or the usual rankings that are released every year.

Honestly, I would like to look at your faces and see you chaps in person especially the usual suspects who always throw vitriol at others. Hope that day comes soon.