Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 14-12-2022, 10:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm asking what does that make me. I'm not claiming that I'm better or worse than others or whatnot. Why do you sound so insecure? Are you even in an intl firm or even a Big 4 bro?
This endless foreign vs local debate is tiresome and never ends. In my experience:

Local grads tend to overstate how tough and 'rigorous' their education is and understate how many of them are still slogging away in small or mid sized sweatshop firms. Obviously the subtext is that they're much more academically accomplished than foreign grads for getting in and thriving in a pressure-cooker environment. But they're simply resting on the laurels of their A Level results which may not correlate with eventual career achievements in practice.

Foreign grads tend to understate how little they study for law school and overstate how many are working in international law firms. Obviously the subtext is that even without putting in the same academic effort, they can breeze through the tough selection processes for international firm roles and are equally if not competent in practice. But this seems to be borne out of a 'chip' on their shoulder of being seen as inferior.

This bickering has been going on for 20 or so years and neither foreign nor local law grads are going anywhere. So can you people just stay in your own lanes and focus on yourselves.