Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2022, 04:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is why people say those working in civil service are out of touch with the working world. A person with 10 yrs of working experience earning low 7k is nothing to be sniffed at.
A person earning slightly more than 100k annually is in the top 20 percentile of income earners in Singapore. And please let's not compare workload, every job has their stress points. Plus, peolpeople can point to how teachers enjoy June and Dec holidays, which even if you take away meetings and lesson prep is still quite substantial.
Nah, I commented several tens of pages ago about moving to educational consulting. I left as a fresh GEO5 subject head and got a 25% pay increase (or +35% if only comparing gross monthly) with a similar level of responsibility. In fact I have to manage fewer people, and managing upwards is also so much easier here as well because it's not so hierarchical. I can jump two or three levels of management to move projects along without getting f**ed by the chain of command, who completely trust me and each other that we all have the same goals in mind. I don't have to rank/curve-grade my direct reports for their performance appraisals. Oh, I can also contribute inputs that have some weight in my direct supervisor's performance appraisal.

Even if we consider the lower salary as a trade-off for job security (which many of us can understand and accept), everything else just shows that the civil service is still in the freaking stone age.

Out of touch my arse, you just don't know where the real opportunities are. No transferrable skills? Rubbish - more like no skill in marketing oneself.