Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Roles in accenture singapore
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In ACN for 2.5 years…Should I align myself to Tech or S&C?

S&C

Pros:
Exposure to different types of work (but so far haven’t done any consulting type of work)
Could potentially be a faster route to CL7

Cons:
More costly to projects: I’ve heard that S&C people cost more to the project
Takes longer to get promoted. Generally it takes about 3-4 years to be promoted to CL7.
Cannot align to H&PS (that’s where most of the biggest clients are and they have the biggest budget for promotions also)

Tech

Pros:
Faster to get promoted.
More budget for promotion.
Better bonuses.

Cons:
Exit options might be limited to tech, not so much of Management Consulting.
If things go south, it might take longer for you to get promoted to AM>M.
Lower pay than consulting (?)

What do you guys recommend?
Just to update on a few of your points, you’re right that consulting people cost more than tech to projects. This makes sense as well given how consulting offers are much more competitive and each recruitment only a handful consulting offers are given out. The roles they hold in projects are vastly different from tech too.

Your cons for consulting on being unable to align to H&PS is not true. Indeed H&PS have some of the biggest budget given the huge project scale. Every project requires consulting people, you’ll see in H&PS projects they tend to join the change management team. Change management is one out of five sub offerings for consulting under S&C.

You have also mentioned that you’ve not gotten the chance to do much consulting projects. It seems that you’re not a consulting analyst or senior analyst? Correct me if I’m wrong. But if you’re a consulting analyst or senior analyst you are under consulting in S&C, you’ll definitely be profiled to consulting roles and you’ll hold consulting roles in projects unless there’s no openings or you wanna do tech roles. Consulting projects or consulting roles are only open to consulting analysts or strategy analysts and not tech, that’s the reason why you may have the chance to experience it.

Your cons for tech are true, if you’re looking to go into management consulting, you should be doing consulting work and holding consulting role. It’s the most straightforward.

Easiest is you’re offered a consulting role when you applied which means you’re hired to do consulting in acn. If not, you’ll have to do an internal switch which is not any easier you’ll need connections or someone at S&C that’s willing to bring you over. Many times if you’re not originally offered a consulting role when you apply, they see that you are not suited for S&C. But now tech is paying quite well too, so if you’re not looking to pursue mgmt consulting non the long term or move on to MBB or strategy house, then you can do tech, it also seems that you’re under tech with the business and integration role.