Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 20-10-2022, 08:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is legal service a good career choice?

I understand that LSOs dont get to be called to the bar until only after a few years. Do I need to go and find a TC to get called assuming I found out SLS is not my cup of tea?

I'm interested in public service but not sure how it will really be until I start working inside and I've heard horror stories about bureaucracy in civil service.

Seems like the safest way to cover all bases is to apply for a law firm TC and get called before applying to legal service?
Don’t do a TC before going into Legal Service. In Legal Service, they gazette you as a DPP/State Counsel from day 1. Meaning - (1) you do full work from the start, including appearing in court, (2) you get paid the full salary, which is far more than 2-3k.

The trade off is that it takes 3 years to get called to the Bar. So the exchange rate is 1:3. If you have done 24 months in service, you can leave, but will have to do 2 months in practice to get called.

The bureaucracy is nothing horrible. You get used to it. Anyway, it’s about the same for law firms, where you have to clear work with seniors as well.