Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 08:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But that IS the whole point about ranking isn’t it? And it sucks. It compares people ie same thing as bell curve! The whole ranking thing DOES make teaching toxic and put people against each other. Hence all the extra projects etc to make sure you ‘shine’ against others.
They want to make it fair then just like supposedly national exams, give PB by specific defined criteria….not have a ‘suggested’ 5% D grade which SLs actually follow to the t. That’s the worst thing…I know of people getting ‘technical D’ ie they didn’t get D initially but since they pushed to the bottom it becomes a technical D to suit the quota.
While appraising work performance, officers in the same subgrade are evaluated together and subsequently put into different baskets- A, B, C+ etc. It is a futile effort to try to outshine the others. I would rather look at the KRAs and set realistic expecations with my JHs given their aspiration. When it is time to rank them, they will naturally fall into the correct basket. It doesn’t mean that you do less work than another officer and the two are guaranteed different perf grades. We have to be practical, there is only this much time and energy everyone has.

FYI, D is not a must. It really depends on the SLs, and how deserving an officer is to be given an adverse grade.