Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM

shaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
can anyone tell me how much does a Manager level staff in Comchest earn? I understand it falls under Public Service and not Civil Service. Whats the difference between the 2 anyway?
Comchest is a sub-unit of the National Council of Social Service (NCSS) which is a statutory board of Ministry of Community, Youth and Sports.

"The Singapore Public Service employs some 127,000 public officers working in 15 Ministries, more than 50 Statutory Boards and 9 Organs of State. Within the Public Service is the Civil Service, comprising more than 76,000 officers working in the Ministries and Organs of state. They work in various schemes of service, including the Administrative Service, legal, education, police, civil defence as well as other generic schemes. Statutory boards (such as HDB, CPF Board, IRAS, etc) have their own recruitment and human resource management policies. They are legally distinct and independent employers from the Civil Service".

Just imagine Singapore Airlines as Civil Service (parent company) and its subsidiaries Silk Air (fully owned) and Tiger Airways (partially owned) as Statutory Boards... same concept... there's a natural tendency that the parent company has a higher profile than its subsidiaries

There is also a tendency to assume that by joining a Stat Board (which is supposed to be more efficient than a Ministry), you have a strong interest in what they do. For example, it's typical to stereotype those who join Singapore Sports Council as someone who like sports a lot...

I started work in a Stat Board and then moved to a Ministry. In terms of remuneration, I'd say it's fairly comparable, +/- 10-15% depending on many factors such as experience, relevance, qualification, etc... stayed 2 years in Stat Board and 5 years in Ministry... can tell which one I prefer

Last edited by shaz; 02-04-2012 at 10:11 PM.