Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The raison d'etre of SUSS was to fill the shortage of crim and family lawyers. That's exactly where they should be. That was the founding mandate and charter of the 3rd law school and how it was sold to all stakeholders in the legal industry (during the height of the glut, I might add).

Any complaints now that SUSS grads aren't getting the plum corporate or comm liti jobs constitute an implicit repudiation of that charter and betrayal of that trust.

For family law, the most mid tier you would go is Harry Elias.

For crim, I don't think we exactly have a shortage of people wanting to go into the white-collar defense teams and investigations. We need more blue collar defense counsels and CLAS and LASCO counsels. That's done mostly by small firms and "Chinatown" firms. Perhaps we will see some SUSS grads employed by the new Public Defender's Office.
Agree with your sentiment. However, it's interesting to note that some SUSS law/JD grads had already held quasi-legal jobs prior to doing their law degree (I believe some were Temasek Poly law diploma grads?) and were working in some "more commercial" jobs like paralegals in law firms or stat boards (e.g. MAS, etc.) and just do their degree so that they can be employed by their current employers as actual lawyers.

Curious about the sentiment people would have for this. For one, it goes against the initial purpose SUSS was designed for. However, in their shoes, I would do the same thing.