Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Whilst I don't agree with that statement about women making poor lawyers, I will also take stats from Western countries with a hefty pinch of salt.

Western countries have all sorts of politically correct unwritten diversity quotas that may skew meritocratic selection.

Case in point, Joe Biden's outright commitment to get a black female nominated to the SCOTUS.

Due to culture wars in Western countries, true meritocratic selections are often made subordinate to other priorities that are perceived to be more important such as achieving some kind of racial or gender parity to correct for real or perceived past discriminations.
Putting aside the Joe Biden example, diversity is not at odds with meritocracy and is consistent with it. I’m always curious when people claim that the two are at odds. Without exception they are always men who are part of the majority race in a society. The very people who have never really faced structural barriers in their life and career such as being a struggling mother with kids balancing a legal career (even more so single mothers) or facing the hurdle of navigating systems as a minority. No prizes for guessing who these people (men) are on these forums. Just like how QCs for the longest time always were white men who just happened to deserve it on “merit”. “Merit” is a convenient label for the old boys club. If “merit” doesn’t take into account one’s life journey then it means nothing at all. It’s high time we embraced the benefits of diversity in the legal profession at all levels.