Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - MAS for Mid Career Professionals
View Single Post
Old 30-09-2022, 12:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I can shed some light on this. Headcount is not MAS' fault since manpower is limited for all public sector agencies centrally by MOF under MMF (s://.mof.gov.sg/news-publications/parliamentary-replies/Productivity-Growth-of-The-Government), and agencies are penalised if they hire above their MMF quotas (most agencies will have their annual budget from MOF reduced for each headcount over quota, or else they have to pay an equivalent penalty sum to MOF if they are revenue-generating agencies like MAS).

Therefore, the only way forward is to deprioritise work, and management needs to be aware of the risk trade-offs in assigning headcounts to BAU stuff vs new areas like crypto and e-payments.
This is a patently bizarre argument.

If it is indeed true that because of budget reasons, MAS cannot hire additional staff who are needed to meet the rapid development of emerging risks, then the right answer would be for MAS to inform its paymaster that it will henceforth limit its engagement on these emerging risks. This is not to say that MAS will completely be oblivious to these risks, but rather, we will not undertake any work that is beyond necessary.

Instead, MAS has gone the other way round. Despite being without sufficient resources, it has adopted an aggressive "I-must-be-the-hero" attitude and volunteered way beyond its capabilities. How can this be right? I suppose part of the problem stems from cultural issues where we are too inhibited to say no. Management has very fancy ideas and sometimes loses sight of our mandate. Or perhaps they interpret our mandate so loosely that everything that occurs on earth is something we should look into.

It is also puzzling that you consider MAS a "revenue-generating agency". Tell me which other Central Bank in the world is considered a "revenue-generating agency" by its government. This classification in and of itself is ridiculous when applied to a Central Bank. The mandate of the Central Bank is clear, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the "revenue" it generates. You simply can't measure how much "revenue" we have generated through our efforts to maintain non-inflationary growth and macroprudential stability.

In fact, if we are indeed penalized by MOF (or whoever else) because we are hiring the staff that we need to safeguard our mandate, then the real question is whether we need to be more independent in this area.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app