Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - High Finance Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi all, i’m currently a penultimate student at local uni. looking for some career advice so appreciate any unfiltered and honest insights!
i have internships in 2 IB boutiques and 1 strong PE. The PE does not convert and only take in IB people. Should I go buy or sell side right out of undergrad? Of coz this is assuming i get offers but I wish to focus my effort on one.

IB:
Pros- Exit Opps + Prestige + Money
Cons- i really hated my life in IB. Everyday get fked and the anxiety was no joke

PE (GIC/Temasek etc):
Pros- Friendlier culture + Good pay
Con- Lesser pay and prestige. Exit opps limited? If cmi get pushed to MD at subsidiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi all, i’m currently a penultimate student at local uni. looking for some career advice so appreciate any unfiltered and honest insights!
i have internships in 2 IB boutiques and 1 strong PE. The PE does not convert and only take in IB people. Should I go buy or sell side right out of undergrad? Of coz this is assuming i get offers but I wish to focus my effort on one.

IB:
Pros- Exit Opps + Prestige + Money
Cons- i really hated my life in IB. Everyday get fked and the anxiety was no joke

PE (GIC/Temasek etc):
Pros- Friendlier culture + Good pay
Con- Lesser pay and prestige. Exit opps limited? If cmi get pushed to MD at subsidiary
Everyone here is kinda toxic but I'm just gonna be real honest about it.
"Should I go buy or sell side right out of undergrad? Of coz this is assuming i get offers but I wish to focus my effort on one."
If this is what you wish to do, go sell side, the opportunities are far higher than buyside. I do not know your portfolio well, but from what I see, even sell side bulge bracket would be kinda challenging with the kind of resumes we see from uni student today. Overall, you are still gonna be getting more offers from sell side than buy side.

Otherwise, I recommend you to just whack every job application there are in the market.