Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2022, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have been in your shoes

Trust me the problem is not poly. The problem is medicine. Going to pte or locum will not change anything.

Fact is earning money being a doctor is a pain. Is like slow drip water torture. Got to see patient one by one by one.

And in GP work how much can each patient pay? Sure you can open clinic and sell medicine and make profit also but realistically how much profit can you make per patient?

The more you charge the more the patient got questions to ask. So is unrealistic to try to fleece each patient. In the end the hourly amounts dont justify.

So need volume. High volume simpler work less questions profit maybe $20-$30. This is probably the most lucrative route.

However it is VOLUME. And the more patients you see the more chance you get those emotional vampire type ask crazy questions like why why why is this happening to me. Not interested in how to treat or what can be done but WHY this happened to them. And then you explain already they say cannot be lah dont think so lah then ask you WHY again You try to ICE. they say I dont know I am not the doctor you the doctor you tell me. But you already told them. So this type need to usher out fast. But then you uncaring doctor

Also burnout.

In the end, the problem is medicine. It is not what you thought it was. It is more akin to those hawker selling $20 plate of hokkien mee. But the hokkien mee when you fry will talk back to you say they dowan this dowan that and you got to keep the hokkien mee happy also and not kena complaint to the Hokkien Mee complaints council.

If you have the foresight and courage. Leave medicine. Go do something else. Software engineering. Business Admin. Accountancy. CPA. CFA.

How did u cope/find peace and happyness