Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 13-08-2022, 08:43 AM
Unregistered

Default Stay strong OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What are professional responses to a partner yelling at you in person?

Or tips to fake confidence when getting yelled at? I have a partner that nothing I do is right.

She called and yelled at me yesterday and I had to hang up the phone on her because I was going to start crying.

I’m just nervous how to act in person now.

He undermines everything I do/say and as a new lawyer I don’t have a lot of confidence on what to say back to her .

What are some good responses that are still professional to say to an angry partner ?

I don’t have experience getting yelled at by people in law school. This is my first job since graduation.

Also is it normal to get yelled at? If so, then I may not switch to another firm. I will just quit practice for good.

Hey hang in there my learned friend. 2PQE here.

I suffered a similar experience in a firm that I used to work at it. I left, walked out the door on the last day of work when one of the partners screamed and shouted and me for my quality of work and never looked back.

I suffered severe anxiety when hearing a phone call or email notification. The partner I worked for accused me of many things for being incompetent, unmotivated without giving any guidance to me.

The opportunity came, and I am happy at a much better firm, more prestigious than the dump I used to be at, doing what I like, and am recovering from the psychological damage caused by the failed move I made.

Your self worth is not defined by what a partner screams/shouts at you about.

Defend yourself and make sure you cover all grounds in your work. Sometimes its the partner that is incompetent and not you. Don't give yourself an opportunity to get barked at. But be professional. No banging tables, fridges, throwing chairs.

Don't be afraid and start looking elsewhere. It is not normal to get yelled at. Find an exit plan before leaving. Do your due diligence carefully.

If the firm is on a perpetual recruitment drive, Trainees quit after their TC and Associates leave after very short stints or less than a year or two, that's a red flag.

It really also largely hinges upon luck.