Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2022, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Am on the client side. I totally agree. I've been to so many of these law firm client events, talks or seminars.

The international firms really outshine the local firms in terms of marketing, ability to showcase their capabilities, and client attention. SOmething that the local lawyers have yet to wise up to - it's not simply the technical ability (that's expected from all external counsel) but the client servicing that's equally impt.

Let's face facts - you put an angmor lawyer and an asian lawyer in front of an audience, repeating the same content word-for-word, and the angmor lawyer will always appear to have more gravitas (to both the angmor and asian audience). That's the way of the world, esp in this part of the world.

All the local Big 4 lawyers are pretty much fungible apart frm a few specific market-leading teams in certain Big 4s. Local firms honestly need to up their game to be up to scratch with the internationals.
I don’t necessarily think it’s ang moh v asians - I think it’s more of a personality thing. Asians (especially conservative ones) tend to be a bit more soft spoken. IMO big4 tends to attract these sorts. There are other asians who thrive in international firms. These lawyers are very skilled and have the guts to match. Skilled lawyers in international firms are also business minded and can marry commercial sense and legal work. I’ve found this combination of skills to be somewhat lacking in big4 lawyers.