Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Oil and gas vs Banking
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

What role in IB ? (ECM, DCM , M&A?)

Myself, after 4.5 years in banking I kind of realise that for most this career path is not sustainable in the long run.

My hours are exactly like yours (come in before 730am and leave after 9pm). Typically burn 1 day of the weekend on average.

Total comp dropped by 50% and I begin to wonder if all the extra hours are worth it!?

Escape path would either be Buy-Side or to join a corporate. Or, do something more relax like GTS or Corp banking instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I work 14 hours a day as analyst and associate as ib, typically reach office 730 and leave around 9pm, not unusual to burn weekends too. I hit 200k in total before 30.
Life gets better as vp and executive director level as i can farm out work to analysts, while i deal with client facing work. I can come in 9am and leave by 7pm, but will be on blackberry standby. However there are more travel at least 1 a month. Total comp around 440k this year, 20% lower from last year.
I dont think i can sustain long in this industry and looking to work for another 5 years in ib before moving to client side finance role as cfo where life gets even better but relatively lower pay. If not i probably play golf everyday and rely on rental income of 4 properties which should be fully paid by then to sustain myself and family