Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 28-07-2022, 04:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For context I am an overseas law grad, I have been struggling with my mental health over past 2 years, but only sought help recently and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and prescribed medication a few days ago. For context I have already signed with another firm and am currently contemplating which offer to accept. (I told HR that I was leaning towards rejecting the offer but later emailed them again pleading for more time to reconsider).

Firm A: firm I just withdrew from, SG office of fairly reputable international firm
Firm B: firm that I am signed with, London office of an mid-Atlantic American firm, unsure about how its reputation is perceived in Singapore

worklife balance: assuming firm B because of country culture but honestly its probably a slog either way, also feel like if my mental health is something I have to be transparent about I would feel more comfortable speaking to employers in B as it seems less stigmatised in the UK.

support system: firm A because I am closer to close friends and family

money: Firm B likely to pay slightly more (NQ 157k gbp), not sure about Firm A because I think its a bit crass to ask about pay, but I am pretty sure I will be well paid either way so its not too much of a concern for me

quality of work: Firm A has a better reputation in the practice areas I am interested in, Firm B does the work I am interested in as well, but is more of a market leader in areas I am not currently interested in (I do recognise I should be open-minded as well at this stage)

brand name: Firm A, my long-term aim is to return to SG so I am worried that taking firm B may jeopardise my attractiveness as a lawyer especially if its not a household name (if its relevant Firm B has a SG office as well)

career: unknown? some say its good to start in London because of the relative depth of legal market and exposure to cross-border work, on the other hand I have been advised not to stay overseas too long because ideally you should be able to build stronger client relationships by starting in SG

personal aspirations: Firm B because I think it would be easier to return to SG to work from rather than the other way round, feels like it would personally be more of a challenge as well (although I am not sure being challenged is best for my mental health atm)

Would appreciate any perspectives from current lawyers about anything else I should also factor in, as well as what you all think from experience should be the most important factors!
Be a DPP. High salary, good worklife balance and no mental health problems