Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - High Finance Thread
View Single Post
Old 26-07-2022, 11:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, undergrad here with internship stints in both sellside and buyside. Would like to ask if there is any significant disadvantage to joining buyside straight out of school? What are some considerations (exit opps/mobility/hours etc) one should note?

Understand that not many PE firms recruit fresh grads. But there are grad programs in firms such as PG and BX/BLK. Is it possible to join KKR/CVC/Ares from buyside firms?
Why would you worry about exit opps if you start in an investment role in buyside? Exiting from there just means you move into a more corporate role (non investment). I don't think is what most people here are thinking of unless you are more interested in climbing the corporate ladder than being in investments.

If you snag an ideal role with a decent buyside firm, I think the answer is really why worry. No point overthinking it unless you want to get the sell side experience which some actually do want it.

Also depends on if you have a preference of public markets and private markets. From sell side, you can switch into buyside in both private / public. I would assume grad programs if available, tend to be more public markets.