Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much savings do you have?
View Single Post
Old 20-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I know, a few of my friends who have kids told me the same too...But they also did tell me the truth regarding sleepless nights, $$ out and stress increasing with kids...Anyway it's a personal choice at the end of the day...I know fairly well if I do have a kid or two...my savings will definitely diminish...Either that or I have to cut back on holidays (maybe once in 5 years) ...We are not even driving a 'premium' car now...It's only a Jap model...7 years old...

And I definitely will not be able to hit the amount of savings most pple in this forum claim to have....Childcare rates are about $1000 a mth now (for the slightly more premium chains)...Even if I send them to a 'normal' childcare, it would cost $500...and if I have 2 kids, it would be $1000!....Most likely I have to hire a maid if I have kids, so that would be about $600 gone...(excluding the expenses for the maid like food etc)...

Not to mention I would have to save another $50K for my kids education (assuming they are hardworking and make it to a local Uni)...if not, I have to cough out another $100K+ for their overseas education....

True?
If you always do cost benefit analysis about having kids, you'll never have any. Your career only ends when you retire. By then, it is too late to have any. You'll be too old to be active enough in their lives. In addition, you'll always play catchup as you may drive a jap car now. But when you are better off, you drive a premium car. Again by then you will say, I don't have enough saving to have kids.

Another thing is that please remove any ideas that 'anytime' you can have kids. Having kids (conceiving) is not easy. I have 2 kids and it wasn't an easy journey for my 1st one. It took us a while to have a kid (almost 2 yrs). Some couples tried longer and some unfortunate ones, never had any even after spending thousands for IVF etc. When you have conceive a kid, you face another round of challenges. Your kid may or may not be normal. As our environment gets more stress and polluted, chances of abnormality get higher. Forget about stories that its a piece of cake to have a normal kid. Reality is not like that.

So please think carefully if you ever want to have kids. If you want, plan early. Else, just have pets and accumulate your savings. Biological clocks for ladies are ticking. Once you hit a certain age, its just simply not worth taking that risk to have kids. Be merciful to your kid by letting them born normal than to suffer from abnormalities.

Its a joy seeing them smile everytime I saw my two kids. It was a difficult journey to have them and I'm thankful each day. Plus they are like my lucky stars. I get promoted a few times ever since I have them.