Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2012, 11:56 AM

cslee is on a distinguished road

In most cases that I encounter, unless you are grossly underpaid in private sector, It's not likely that Civil Service would give you a raise. But if you do perform well and was paid below your "peers", highlight this to your boss in your confirmation appraisal and your next promotion may come sooner than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i guess i was in a similar situation a few years ago with regards to current salary, academic credentials and years of working experienece, except that i am in the technical line.

There are a few popular means to forecast the expected salary.

1) Multiply your current monthly salary (don't fact in bonus or AWS) by 17.5 and then divide it by 15.5.

2) Add a lumpsum of $500 to your current salary. I suspect this is more applicable where the current pay is between 3500 to 4000, which was the case for me.

Also note that the abovementioned approach is quite average in nature.

I had seen people asking for 20% increment, with the deal being settled eventually for 15%.
There are also hearsays that the government only allows for 5% increment, which i do not think is true for all cases.

In cases where your future bosses are influential or high ranking, they can always seek approval from senior management to justify the higher asking pay. This is not uncommon.