Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Shopee fresh grad pay
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2022, 11:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i guess there is some departure in what people used to call a "network engineer" , mostly ppl imagine low level stuff working in server rooms, cabling etc.

but fundamentally all software engineers MUST have a good enough concept of networking in the real sense - as in the OSI model, and S protocols, the concept of ports, networks and subnets, DNS, TLS handshake, TCP/UDP etc. basically networking to SWE == how computers talk to each other. and make no mistake, this is absolutely fundamental. no SWE i know touch any cables or interact with any physical network but we all have these concepts.

and then u get to the cloud and u realize everything is networks all the way down. my point is any tech engineer worth their salt is gna have the basic concepts of networking.
Err ok.. so understanding network protocols is important. That's quite different from saying network engineers are smart. Knowing how flush toilet is super important (more important than networking). Does that make professional toilet flushers geniuses?