Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Job-hopping within civil sector
View Single Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:56 AM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You're old school. It's already been established that modern employees job hop now more than ever. Experts claim that it's important for one's growth and the exposure gained can be comparable to working in consulting firms where consultants "hop" from one project to the next in quick succession.
Please understand the context before applying ideas. but even before doing that, do recognise that these 'experts' are quite fickle and their ideas change all the time. They also tend to publish for the sake of publishing.

The broad HR framework of the civil service provides for progression largely within agency. exposure and development is provided for via some secondment/external postings but mostly still via job rotations within agencies. That is the fact. And this is the case in the govt because most agencies are quite large and can provide sufficient exposure in house without officers needing to move out. They value more depth of contextual knowledge and expertise that comes with years of experience within the agency.

If you ask me, what is being suggested viz. what i akin to be operating in a transient manner, is probably borne out of need rather than desire; a need that arises due to increasing job instability in today's job markets. Where people have no choice but to adapt. Don't believe me? try job hoping when your'e 40. perhaps a few people can do it. but not many.

if you think it is possible to do this within the public sector and do well, by all means try and let me know how it turns out. moreover, it is one thing for private companies to engage in a bidding war for 'talent' (im using the word loosely here), it's something else for public sector agencies to do the same at a systemic level. certainly not the best use of public sector funds. The most they can and will do is match your pay. not difficult, since they already have your record.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app