Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Official 2022 Retrechment thread
View Single Post
Old 23-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ok, thanks for info

they are senior SWEs? i guess they were earning alot and it is cheaper to hire fresh grads
like i said they are E4 and E5 devs so,

E4 is the higher end of junior dev
E5 is senior, e6 is manager / principal

also im not sure why you or a few others here think that its cheaper to hire fresh grads. let me enlighten you, if you own a FAANG-Level business and you have people with 2-3 years of experience, they know your company culture, in and out, they get along well with others and do well at their job hence why they are still in your company after the mandatory 6 months probation and yearly review where they are known to cut people, ( Amazon also does this )

does it make any sense to you, whatsoever, to fire your staffs and replace them with freshers who

1. have 0 real working experience? most freshers only have internship experiences and those don't count as "full-time" working experiences. interns also don't ever touch any production releases stuffs at any reputable tech companies, why? because it's a huge risk and a massive headache for senior devs to babysit them. So they do some random internship project that no one cares about, often referred to as "POCs", proof of concept.

2. get paid lower yeah but can negotiate pay... so even if you give this guy the lowest title, SWE1 junior or whatever equivalent, this guy can still negotiate with you right? and get the highest end of that salary band he/she is tied to? whats next? you hire this guy, who has 0 clue how your company works, u get some senior to onboard him, that's time off that senior's dev... if that senior is getting paid a lot, you are basically paying that senior $$$$ just to onboard this new guy.

In the long run you are basically wasting money and time.

Lay offs at FAANG-like companies happen because teams get dissolved due to objective changes. it has nothing to do with $$$$. FAANG companies are not like Grab or Shopee, they are not some garbage tech company that are either backed up by investors ( grab has been losing profit for many years, shopee started in 2015 and only rose so high thanks to covid, their product / services are literally garbage and have full of competitors )

Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc have been around for decades. What's Google's competitor? yahoo? bing? lol give me a break, no one uses their garbage. Facebook competitor? Myspace? dead, Tiktok? maybe but until Tiktok learns how to let business users sell their products ( facebook fan page equivalent, facebook ads equivalent ), boomers to create social circles ( facebook group equivalent, etc ), facebook will still always be preferred among the majority of users.

I can list many examples but you get my point.

So no, FAANG don't lay people off because of $$. Companies like shopee, grab, yes but FAANG? no.