Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2022, 11:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
HQ talks about sense-making the policies. Yes. You are right. We can put in more effort to rationalize the decision-making process. However, certain explanation given due to systemic constraints which the ground officers are striving to improve does not piece up the whole picture. TT comm may not be the best analogy, but a sound one. How are you going to strive to improve without acknowledging the constraints faced? Not enough classrooms to go around then how can we support reduced class size? Do we expand the school premise? These are the perimeters all of us have to consider. The wishes have to be grounded and practicable.

All of us, regardless you are Senior Management, Middle Management, HQ Directors/Officers, Teachers, MX Officers and EAS are seeking to improve the system. No system is perfect but all of us can try to appreciate the trade-offs when we consider a proposal.

HQ is encouraging cross-level deployment but she does not mandate it e.g. every JC/Sec school comes up with a quota of teachers to be transferred to Primary School. At least she is making effort to relieve the choked pipe.

If we can eventually overcome the systemic constraints one day, I will definitely applaud the move of reduced class size. For now, let us anchor on our own beliefs that we can make a change and do our best to educate our future generation.
Just wanted to echo your position and affirm a voice of reason in this forum.

I think with sufficient rotation every year, a certain portion of teachers will get the opportunity to experience the challenges of policy planning. A good policy is not necessarily one that makes people happy. In fact, a good policy will likely make everyone unhappy a little. Finite resources means that someone will get more and some less.

Class sizes is one of those perennial topics that developed systems worldwide struggle with. I think one has to recognise that reducing class size is a complex endeavour - manpower, salaries, infrastructure, pedagogical imperative, career development, knockon impact on relevant sectors (social work, nursing, etc). It is costly to train, hire, and retain a teacher. There are no easy solutions. The low hanging fruits have been plucked already in the 80s and 90s.

I think we all have to reckon within ourselves whether we think it’s worth staying on in this endeavour. There are many jobs out there. Teaching is just one of them. If you leave, I’m pretty confident there will be eager applicants wanting to have your position. Let’s be thankful for what we have.