Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2022, 06:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Getting scolded for a mistake is very common in law.. for some reason seniors don't like to teach properly but then use you as an outlet to vent their own stress when something goes wrong. Don't worry.

Law is a marathon not a sprint, you just need to grind enough exp and you will get it eventually, you don't need to be a "stellar" performer to last in law, you need to have a relatively thick skin, and to shake it off when ppl scold you. Take it as their way of teaching.
Yup, don't be disheartened if you aren't doing well in your early years in practice. Law is notorious for having a steep learning curve for beginners, doesn't help when many of the boomers or Gen X lawyers way of "teaching" is just to vent their temper at you without pointing or even hinting at what is wrong with your work.

And a thick skin is very crucial especially in litigation. You aren't going to just be scolded by your seniors, but also by the judiciary and your learned friends at times. I remembered when I started practising, there was this senior partner who will instruct me to attend PTCs/CCs where there will be an upcoming dressing-down by the judges due to non-compliance of directions. And the non-compliance stems from the fact that the partner sat on the file after collecting the deposit and nothing was done on his part.