Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 15-06-2022, 11:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
any kind of lawyer with decent work life balance?
I've heard a lot of lawyers work awful hours, and have no work life balance. I don't see the point in becoming a lawyer just to be miserable for the rest of my life. Are there any areas of law/employers where lawyers can have work life balance?

I heard lawyers for the government have better working hours, tho i dont know how true that is
Do consider a career as in-house lawyer. It can be pretty darn good, depending on your organisation. Sometimes you may have to deal with some firedrills but far less often than private practice where everything is urgent.

Sure your pay may not be as good as the top (ie B4 and international) law firms' payscales, but it is still very good relative to many other corporate ops functions and oftentimes can beat mid-tier law firm salary.

There's a reason why majority of in-house lawyers are women and that's where they excel. Because in-house gives them family time. And its lots of corporate type work, which requires attention to detail (women generally excel in that).

The narrative that the legal industry is overworked and miserable is really only applicable to private practice. Why do you think in-house lawyers are not the ones constantly whining on this forum? Because they're out there enjoying their dinners with their families.