Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Graduate income
Thread: Graduate income
View Single Post
Old 13-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbm View Post
True true. But it is also hard to predict the industry for the upcoming years. And with my grades I got to make do with the choices I have, which includes engineering. And I'm particular with engineering as I thinks it's quite versatile with the market
Yup i wld agree that engr is versatile so keeps ur options open. And ur advantage is that u r asking qn early enough in the process 2 enable u to make the appropriate life choices to get u what u want.

Now assuming money is ur key criteria, u may consider the following :
- front office finance pays well - target for first class honors, maybe double deg in accounting and network hard for internship ops
- for engineering
A. choose the right industry ie oil and gas upstream
B. Choose the right area ie ideally end client facing rather than back office roles
- talk to ur seniors, career office, headhunters and your colleagues when u intern - ask about which are the promising industries and areas
- once u figure out which industry, do all that u can to secure a couple of internships in that area
- during ur internship, observe who has the nice cars/houses and seek advice from colleagues on which areas are more lucrative
- start early

I guarantee that most of ur fellow undergrads will not put in the above legwork, and if u do all of the above, and start the process early (ie 1st yr), u will greatly increase ur probability of landing in a good position in your career.

If u do as everyone else does (ie start thinking about it in yr 3), u will likely get ordinary results like everyone else.