Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 27-05-2022, 09:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I laughed when I saw the small pp energy of posters here flexing on "Chinatown law firms". I left the industry after 7-8 years of practice and was not from one myself, but hey, you do you. But let us see, a SC decides to join the judiciary despite being one of the top commercial litigators in Singapore and another fiery litigating SC's law firm merged with an American multinational corporation law firm, it is safe to say that things aren't going too well for litigation of all complexities. And lest we forget, the litigators who are jumping at any opportunity to be a corporate legal counsel. But continue thinking that only Chinatown law firms are affected while others already saw the ship sinking and are taking the first lifeboat out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I laughed when I saw the small pp energy of posters here flexing on "Chinatown law firms". I left the industry after 7-8 years of practice and was not from one myself, but hey, you do you. But let us see, a SC decides to join the judiciary despite being one of the top commercial litigators in Singapore and another fiery litigating SC's law firm merged with an American multinational corporation law firm, it is safe to say that things aren't going too well for litigation of all complexities. And lest we forget, the litigators who are jumping at any opportunity to be a corporate legal counsel. But continue thinking that only Chinatown law firms are affected while others already saw the ship sinking and are taking the first lifeboat out.
Lol, I love it when people don't know what they are talking about but act like they do (not only this poster but the preceding posters talking about litigation "dying" as well). Litigation is an evergreen industry in SG. Both the amount of cases and the average quantum involved in SG has been trending upwards for quite some time, so I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, there's been an upwards tick towards arbitration, but you do realise that the top liti teams usually also do arbitration right? Or at least have another team doing arbitration that they push the work to.

In terms of the two SCs you mentioned.... You do realise that SCs joining the Judiciary is almost like a rite of passage? They have to do it so that they can call in favours in the future, not to mention build their resume for Tribunal work in arbitration. Most SCs dun stay in the judiciary longer than the fixed two-year term for Judicial Commissioners (specifically because they earn too much in private practice to continue staying). They aren't doing Judiciary work because they can't make a living in private practice (as you are implying).

Additionally, merging with large law firms is just good marketing, and also highlights that the SC's firm is profitable enough to bring him in as a global partner.

Also, you speak of litigators jumping to go in-house as though it proves anything, when it's just a general trend in every practice area. Most lawyers want to have work-life balance which is easier to find as in-house Counsel (not because they earn less or can't find work).

Are you an ex-litigator who couldn't cut it, so you now feel the need to act like you left because the industry was dying?