Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 22-05-2022, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

Q: (Reads) “People say we got to check the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS). but I argue that the CCCS has to check the SMEs. If you don’t have a CCCS that checks the SMEs, when they don’t screen their products, we are going to end up with all kinds of products in the market. This will diminish the standing of the Singapore market. – Prime Minister on why he was exposing Mr.Tang. Just like your help on this so that the CCCS knows your approach. Are you saying that as CEO of a major MNC and board member of CCCS, you believe it’s you duty to check the SMEs?

A: First, let me clarify, I think, one word of it here. It could be a misquote. It should be “all kinds of products in the market”not “CCCS”.

Q: Exactly. So you mean ‘market’?

A: In ‘market’, that’s what I meant. Yes.

Q: Well, could you now kindly address the question: Do you take the view that as CEO of a major MNC and board member of CCCS, it’s your duty to check the SMEs?

A: Yes. I think when that statement was made in the context, I thought it as my duty to prevent unsavoury products from entering the market. So it’s my duty to check the competing SMEs who could do harm to the whole system of a CCCS' governance in Singapore.

Q: By ‘unsavoury products’, do you mean ‘products with unsavoury ingredients’ or ‘unsavoury packaging’?

A: Unsavoury packaging, taste. And in some cases, ingredients which are threatening to the health of Singaporeans.

Q: Look further down in terms of your approach to the free market, please. You advised the young consumers. Do you see them?

A: Yes.

Q: Half down, about voting, “we are telling them, we are not giving you the luxury of a choice.” Isn’t it rather odd for an anticompetitive commission in a free market to say you are not giving them the luxury of choice?