Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Getting MBA worth?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That's very easy for an armchair quarterback to say. But am not sure if you have really thought thru it when you put out a throwaway line like that.

I have an MBA and that's the exact calculus I had to navigate before I jumped into it.

Long and short of it is, both paths are not easy. But if you put in a huge amount of time and effort for both, it is a lot easier and less risky to earn SGD150k to SGD500k a year via the MBA route than via a business route.

Yes, you have to get a top GMAT score, navigate yourself to a top MBA school, and pull out all your connections and your family's and friend's connections to get a good job, but once you get there, you are getting SGD150k to SGD500k a year just via salary and bonus.

To draw that quantum in business is possible but really not easy. And unless u have mentors and strong financial backing, its not easy to succeed. If you start small, there is a good chance you stay small, and never get the chance at SGD150k to 500k salary ever. If you swing for the fences, its very possible for you to lose your first SGD200 to 500k within 6 months. Then the question is whether you have enough financial backing and self belief to try again.

Now if you swing for the fences and you succeed, then the income is likely to be in the millions (which is possible but unlikely in front office banking - need to hit MD which takes many years, and may not be in reach for many).
Would you share where you are now after you got your MBA?