Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dilemma: Higher paying job vs starting a sideline biz
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2022, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
Problem to solve/Target:

To earn 500k net over the next 10-12 years to deploy into high growth stock investments. Net worth target north of 2.5m in year 2032-2035.

(Current net worth about 200k, consisting of about 90% equities and 10% cash).

*All denomination are in SGD.

Current situation:

In my early 30s, working in a cybersecurity job that has great WLB (9am-6pm/5 work days), am thinking of starting a micro Saas company and working to accelerate the capital required for the investments. The idea is to work on own biz during free time (Work on weekdays 1-2 hours before leaving home for work, another 3-4 hours after work. Work on full day Sat + 0.5 days Sun)

Dilemma:

I have a job offer that pays me higher, but may require more time at work and mental capacity as the team is new and expanding(AKA overtime, meetings to senior management etc). So do I

1) Stay at current job with great WLB and try to make something work in the next few years with the available time that I have OR

2) Accept the new role and use the increased earnings primarily to invest, and if there are free time available continue to work on my biz?

Trivia question:

With entrepreneurship raging on social media these days, is it actually possible to make a micro Saas company work in Singapore and churn out meaningful income to inject into investments?

Is there a huge survivorship bias going on and difficulties of entrepreneurship severely underestimated?

Would like to pick on all of your brains for opinions. Constructive criticism is HIGHLY encouraged. Please fire away.
Still young. Always increase your earning power at this stage.