Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - High Finance Thread
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2022, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

If you want to do IB, the cheapest way is to go SMU/NUS/NTU and join their top tier investment club (i.e SMIF/Nanyang Capital/NUS Investment Society respectively). Not only is it the cheapest way, it is very effective. Just go and do a quick linkedin search and look at all the IB analysts in SG in bulge bracket banks and see their profiles, it is dominated by ppl from these unis and ccas.

You do get very strong technical training and you meet peers who are also fellow finance hardos, there are alot of benefits both in terms of peer learning and help from alumni/seniors too.

unless you are going HYP/wharton/oxford/lse, i wouldn't bother with an overseas education, given the costs involved and that it honestly isn't going to increase the chances of you getting into IB (it might get you a 1st rnd interview at best but when the interviewers realize the peeps from local unis are way more knowledgeable and competent, you sure as hell won't be getting the internship/full time role even if you are from harvard. that said, if you prove to be as competent as the locals during the interviews, then i guess holding all else equal, you may indeed have the edge in getting the role). unless you really want to have that once in a lifetime experience of living abroad independently, but then again you could also do that for a semester by doing an exchange programme if you are enrolled into one of sg's local unis.