Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you’re not retained in a small firm, should you still stay in the same practice area (Liti) after qualifying, try another area or pivot out of law entirely? Boss had nothing but criticisms about my work standards and personality when he told me he wouldn’t retain me. Since the start of the tc, I was assigned to more menial tasks compared to other trainees who came from higher ranked unis. Deep down, I felt that I was not really part of the team doing the real work and even after requesting for more work, I still never really had much learning opportunities in terms of file exposure. To him, I’m not as fast/smart/jovial as the other trainees. At times, he would single me out in front of everyone to comment on a particular mistake that I have made although other trainees have done the same as well. I have made mistakes along the way but I have tried to improve on the aspects that he had criticised me for and did my assigned tasks nevertheless. I come to office punctually and work late as and when it was required as well. I have come to terms that he doesn’t like me as a person generally and as much as I try to remain positive, I’m not sure how this non retention will aggravate my chances with future employers in the same area. Would anyone be able to share their experiences on how they moved on after not being retained and how they are doing in their new firms? Also, any tips for improving working relationship with future bosses? Thank you.
Non-retention in a small firm can be framed simply as the firm being unable to afford to retain all their trainees. Don't fret too much about this. Based on your described relationship with your principal, you should be seeking another employer in any event.

The more pertinent question is whether you lack the attributes necessary for practice. Right now, you're only receiving feedback from 1 source, which as you claim, is thoroughly biased against you. You may have simply drawn a bad hand for your TC.

To truly assess your capabilities, you should definitely stick it out in practice a while longer under another employer, where you're given opportunities to do substantive legal work and can be assessed fairly on that basis.

The formative years of your career isn't only about substantive experience-building, but also to acquaint yourself with your own strengths and weaknesses, and inclinations. Its better that you find out about your attributes at an early stage, rather than later on when you have more financial responsibilities and it's difficult to switch careers. Good luck.