Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Manamuchacha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamuchacha View Post
Hi all! I'm a fresh graduate from Bsc Banking and Finance as well. I do not have any job experience in regards to my field of study even though I did hold irrelevant part-time jobs before. Currently, it's my first time seeking for my first permenant job in the banking and finance industry. I'm nervous as there aren't many bank job offerings available on jobstreet and jobsdb. Most of them require at least 1year prior job experience as well.

I'm not trying to be picky and I'm willing to accept any job offerings that will enable me to make my first breakthrough in this industry. I was given a reality check by my peers. Well, I was told to lower my salary expectation of $2500 as there aren't many job offerings in banks currently. In addition, I believe I do not have any bargaining chips to begin with due to the fact that my exams results are not that fantastic either. I understand that once I hold a permanent job and excel in it, certs doesn't matter anymore as it's more of experiences that counts.

Here's a brief breakdown of my results:
3rd class honours degree.
One distinction and three 2nd class upper grades for 4subjects (Invesment management, Managerial Econs, Principles of banking & finance, Management Science Methods)
I missed an opportunity to attain a higher class as I was short of a 2nd class grade and given that I didn't do well for the rest of the modules as well.

Pardon me if these issues had been addressed before.
1. Is $2500 as a starting salary for a fresh grad to much to ask for currently?

2. I've engaged in a few job agencies and the only reply I got was that they will inform me once they have found any vacancies in the banking & finance sector. I have been searching for jobs by applying through jobsdb.com and jobstreet.com as well for around 5months while helping out with a friend of my dad in his small business. I've seen others mentioning about applying for public sectors, as well as getting banking jobs in operations side rather than sales side. Any websites to recommend? Should I visit those corporate websites and send my job application directly?

3. Understand that Stats boards usually accept fresh graduates with higher salary expectations? Any stat boards to recommend?

Awaiting for your honest opinions. Thanks in advance and sorry my long post.
Clarified my third query.