Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Engineer are a respectable lot in Countries like USA, Australia and UK. The type of engineer that makes a lot are those who work in the Oil/Gas/Mining Projects, not those who work for the operation of the finished plant or in the office in Singapore. While the job is challenging, you do expect to relocate to new places once the project is completed. Hence, the sacrifice could be quite alot especially if you have companion, and even worse if you have family.

I have worked my way up from a Project Engineer, then Engineering Manager and now Regional Manager. Looking back it had been been alot of hardwork and sacrifice I have put in, but financially it has been lucrative. I am beginning to see fruits of the hardship and plan to retire in my early 50s while my kids continue their tertially education overseas.

Bottom line is Engineering is a good career if you shape it the way you want it to be, otherwise, like all other discipline it could be another mundane dead end career
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obviously you are mistaken dude !!!
From my personal experience I can say that the engineers who are there in commissioning, startup and project execution work of plants are not very technically strong.They are filled with a false pride. While the people who who are involved in basic designing aspects like feed characterizayion , crude assay , making energy, mass balance sheets , they are quite gentle and technically good and a lot to learn from.The same can be said about University professors and researchers who do industrial consultancy...they too are very good.The point is --if you are really passionate about engineering, "academia " and "higher education" are the good options too.And please dont say that "all those who are involved in operation of finished plants are fools". Sometimes they are more intelligent than the commissioning and project engineers.The real crux is that---Dont let the profiles like "commissioning,project manager," etc befool you.The real crux lies still in the labs and your textbooks.

How much is the starting pay for a 2nd upper honor fresh graduate for project engineer job in civil service? For example LTA?

Does project engineer earn more than other engineers?