Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 27-04-2022, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello! Can I ask, what sort of options are there? I do have an FCH from a local uni but I didn't make it to CC which is why I joined A&G. For competitive, it's because there are 7 others in my batch who are also going there who are pretty strong too so I was just wondering whether it's better to go to a smaller team and then I've heard that M&A is too general as well
No problem. Exit options include basically all international law firm M&A teams, other B4 M&A teams, mid-sized firm M&A teams, etc.. Otherwise, most in-house corporate roles will be open too. You could even switch to a related practice area - e.g. finreg, TMT, funds.

Ultimately you have to remember that the hiring process is a bit of a game of change. Prospective employers are going to base their selection on a short interview (to test your ability to handle questions on the fly, and general personability), and your general aptitude. For the aptitude, it’s going to be a bit of a game of chance since they can’t verify your ability - this would require working with you on an extended period, which of course is not possible. So, to decrease the chance of a dud, prospective employers are going to look at your CV and track record to and trust the name of previous institution and their selection process. On this point, you can see how NUS FCH and coming from A&G M&A will look extremely good. Compare this to if you come from a smaller/less reputable M&A team - no amount of your recount of your experience is likely going to move the needle.

One thing to note when transitioning into practice is that it’s going to require a lot more than mugging, senior’s notes, and general intelligence to succeed. What sets you apart is your grit, and logical reasoning. It’s hard to teach any of this so treat the transition into practice is sort of a playing field levelled.

I’m happy to continue discussing of you’d like on other mediums, though I’m not sure exactly how.