Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Investment Banker Making 500k pa Gives Excellent Advice
View Single Post
Old 13-09-2008, 01:11 AM
DF--

Default 2656

Hi, I am an undergrad doing economics, and I've heard about the monetary rewards of an investment banking career. However, the equity research and other analytical positions receive much less attention. Seeing that this post is filled with helpful and kind comments, I venture to ask about something I've wanted to know...

I have little interest in an investment banking job, but I enjoy analytical problems, especially the quantitative side. So, I'm wondering, do the analytical jobs in finance have as much demand as the investment banking (and other operations) jobs? Is the pay decent (compared to normal jobs, like those in the 3k to 10k/mth range, and not investment bankers), and the working hours mildly sane?

I've also heard that the hardcore quantitative and computing stuff are done in hedge funds and the such (for Economics majors). Since that's where the money (and resources/funding) is, I suppose it might be true. But I'm quite worried that I'm mistaken and choose the wrong career. (Academic route does offer decent theoretical stuff that's similar.)

Lastly, when I surf the websites, e.g. Barclay's, their minimum requirement for a quantitative analyst is a PhD in a technical subject. Is there any way to bypass that requirement, ie get into a lower-level job-scope that is related to quantitative analysis, and then rising up after becoming proficient at it (assuming that one does become proficient)? Or is formal qualification the only way there? (and does it involve superlative grades and achievements, or will some work on projects related to financial/similar models work as a substitute)

Thanks for the time spent reading this, and any thought and advice given!