Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - My plan for breaking into finance sector
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 AM
QXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
If you want to do the course in applied finance from smu, you should at least get in touch with the alumni to find out what kind of jobs they landed upon graduation. I still think at the minimum MBA, if not overseas, insead. It is ex but worth the $.

You don't want to make a half hearted attempt to leave service and end up doing some sucky work. Because of the baggage you carry being from the public sector, employers are less inclined to consider you and that's what the overseas MBA brand name is for, to help you overcome this obstacle in some cases.
I am honestly very doubtful that Insead will accept his application even if he can afford to pay the exhorbitant school fees. From the looks of things he’s likely to only have a few years of experience in a junior executive role in the public sector, I have seen more experienced and credible applicants turned down by them.

I sense you are from the FI industry yourself, so you will probably have reached the same conclusion as me that his perception of portfolio management is quite out of sync with reality. That to me is more critical then choosing schools and masters program.