Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2022, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi teachers, need some advice..

My performance has always been very good for the past 5 years.
But yet I’m not promoted to a GEO 4 yet.
I’m doing fairly more than my peers teaching same subjects from other schools, and perhaps equivalent to those in my same school.
My friends in other schools are all 4 and minority of them already at KP level.

Spoke to my RO but he just say don’t complain, just work, not your time yet. But every time just telling me I’m doing well very good and CEP is good which I never know how true.

Should I continue to stay in this school and wait for miracle
Or
Look for another during open posting?
I can’t bear to leave what I’ve set up/created for the school but if no future there, then it’s a waste of my time.

Will open posting schools look for/accept higher GEO Teachers during interview? Or GEO 3 stands the same chance?

I felt really demoralised and taken for granted for being the youngest there.

Thanks in advance for spending some time for reading this
If you read the previous posts, there does seem to be a bottleneck of geo3 to geo 4.

Different schools have different culture, conditions, hence set their distribution of work differently that best fit their needs. But every school will try to make the workload fair, to the best of their ability. Do note fair does not mean equal. What you hear from school A in this area is not going to be the same with another school Y. Need to consider how school A and school Y does as a whole, compare as a whole.
It’s not a good comparison to be comparing what you are doing against what your friends in other schools are doing, especially if it’s based on roles , teaching classes or a laundry list of things one is involved in. There is a distinction between role and contribution , and of course impact of work.

You mentioned you have been performing’ very good’. That would mean a list of consecutive Bs. In that sense, you have indeed been doing impactful work and also been given the opportunity. Hence you also do not wish for the work you have created and put in much effort to go to waste. Like your RO, I also believe your CEP is high and promotion will come one day.

Open posting can be a choice. Schools would usually welcome experienced teachers like yourself. However grass need not be greener on the other side. Do your research well, especially if you have intention to take on more leadership roles. One question you would need to be prepared to answer is why are you leaving your current school when you have been performing well in your current school.

If you are still interested to remain in current school, can consider letting your RO know of your career aspirations instead. With more developmental opportunities, you will learn more, and promotion should be timely.