Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - settle for an engineering course or retake exam?
View Single Post
Old 29-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

Take the course that you can score better in. Seeing that you have to retake your A Levels, am I right to say that you didn't do very well? Be honest with yourself. What subjects are you weaker than your peers? Which subjects do you have an advantage?

I had decent but not perfect A level grades. I had peers much smarter than me that went engineering. Looking at the content and workload, engineering appeared considerably tougher than banking finance/ accountancy. Plus, they were constantly outdone by Chinese, Vietnam and Indian talents. Since my uni awarded honors by bell-curve, I knew I had a much lower chance of getting good honors if I had gone to engineering.

Long story short, I took a course in which I had a better chance of scoring in. I achieved a mix of A's and B's and I believe I barely made first-class.

With first-class honors, employers don't really care which course I studied. This really opened many doors for me. I don't consider myself very smart. I honestly believe if I had selected other "popular" courses, I would have ended up with a 2nd upper at best. In engineering I'd probably be a 2nd lower.

I am very sure it was my first class honors that got me my starting job in an investment bank. If you don't get 2nd upper, alot of doors close on you already.

Choose a course where you can do well. Engineering is really tough to score. Accountancy is much easier. This is my 2 scts.